Getting Fired — Our Lives Today

60 Flares Twitter 5 Facebook 55 Google+ 0 LinkedIn 0 Email -- StumbleUpon 0 Filament.io 60 Flares ×

Monday was an especially cold day.  There was a slight chill in the air that dug into my bones and made my teeth chatter.  Even Ellie was having a bad day… crying at the slightest bit of frustration.  Late in the afternoon, I suggested a trip to the library just to get out of the house for a bit.

We did our normal thing at the library, first some computer time & then selecting books.  We bumped into a familiar face who asked if Ellie would like to play outside.  Despite the cold, it was nice to have other moms to talk with while the girls played.  One mentioned a book that she had been reading… “Unglued” was the title.  We were discussing motherhood, when out of the corner of my eye I spotted my husband’s car driving through town.

Shouldn’t he be at practice?  I texted him… “at the library… did I just see you drive by”?  He responded and a sinking sickness took over my body.

One mother said goodbye and clearly distracted by my phone, I apologized to the other whom I had just met.  ”I am so sorry,” I said.  ”Talk about coming unglued… my husband just got fired.”  She hugged me.  This woman I had just met… she hugged me.

By the time we got home from the library, the news had been released to the media.  My sister-in-law heard about it on the six-o’clock news.  By seven, it was all over Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo Sports, Football Scoop, FoxNews… it was painful for my husband.  He had given his heart & soul for eight seasons to his program, to his boys who mean the world to him, and in an instant it was all taken away.

Four days later, I’m not sure whether I should laugh or cry.  I’m wading through a sea of boxes questioning whether I’m being too hasty in packing up our lives.  When will a new job come open?  Will he get hired?  How will we afford to purchase our own health insurance next month?  In one moment, I’m panicking and in the next, I’m trusting God to see us through this.  We are not the first, the only, or the last family to be thrown off the carousel.  But, if I’m being honest with you…  it’s all a little bit scary.  I don’t know where we’ll be for Christmas or the birth of our daughter, but I’m praying that an opportunity will open up for us in a timely way.

In all this mess, I feel so loved by my family, my friends, and fellow coaches’ wives.  To know that there are people praying for us, thinking of us, {and in some cases delivering chocolate to my door} is an amazing thing.

We will get through this.  There are brighter days ahead for us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

23 Comments

1. Sara, I’m so sorry. Wherever you end up, I really hope it is still nearby. My husband was laid off when I was five months pregnant with my now two-year-old, and it was really scary. It all turned out okay, but it was definitely a stressful. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Tricia O. recently posted..All that glittersMy Profile

2. Praying for you! I’m so sorry that this had to happen now! I’m a certified resume writer, so if you need someone to look at it (free of charge, between one coach’s wife to another) please don’t hesitate to email me and I’ll help any way I can!

3. Matt got fired when I was pregnant for Anthony. It was very overwhelming and difficult, but we landed on our feet and so will you.

4. Hugs and love and prayers coming always. We constantly go to the Lord in prayer. I am So sorry you are dealing with this. All will be ok, regardless of the circumstances. Here if you need me.

5. Sara, we are all praying for you, your husband, and your girls. God’s got this…and you.

6. I am so Sara….I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers! I know how hard this must be for all of you right now but keep the faith. The Lord will provide…..just as a door closes, a window will open soon.

7. Dang it! I’m so sorry Sara. I can imagine the heartache, disappointment and fear. He will find something else and although it may mean more change, your family will be OK. Prayers for you and your family. I’ll be thinking of you.
    Krista recently posted..on politicsMy Profile

8. Sara, I am sorry to hear this! I pray that something even better comes along!

9. (((Sara))) I’m so sorry that this has happened. I will keep all of you in my prayers while y’all wait for the next door to open. I hope it doesn’t take too long. I know Southwestern University in Georgetown, TX is starting up their football program again next fall and are looking for an offensive coordinator to start mid-December. I don’t know if it’s still open, but they were taking applications through November 15th. My husband saw it on the Texas High School Coaches Association Website. Hope it helps. (((hugs)))
    Jenn recently posted..ComplimentsMy Profile

10. Tripp has been a special friend for me for my five years here. And Sara, I appreciate so much the chance to work with you at St. Alban’s. God bless you both as you explore new vistas of opportunity. Tripp was Coach of the Year for nothing! Tell him the liberal Episcopal priest in town wants to have a beer with him soon!

11. I am sorry for you all, keep your chins up. We have been there and I promise something better will come along. Trust in God, he will keep you all in his care and move you were you are meant to be. This will make you all stronger as a family and in your Passion for the game.

12. I am so sorry you have to go through this. I have been there and it is something I hope we never have to experience again. Our role (coaching wives) is the family rock during this time. I pray that you don’t have to shoulder that role for very long and your hubby finds a school that appreciates his hard work and dedication to his craft. I will keep my ear to the ground as to OC’s needed in the Northeast.

13. Oh, no. My heart goes out to your family – scary times. I am the wife of a high school football coach and even though that is not how he provides for us, I know the feeling of a team being family and can only imagine how you feel right now. Thank you for this blog which is an encouragement to me – being the wife of the coach can sometimes be the loneliest place on earth as you well know. My prayers are with you and your coach. I’m guessing that during this rough time your daughter will provide reasons to smile.

14. Oh my word! I felt like crying when I read this. I will definitely keep you in my prayers- you are right, God will see you through this. I am so sorry, I will pray too, that you will have comfort and peace and know what is going to happen by Christmas.
    sara’s art house recently posted..mood pumpkins and an announcement!!!My Profile

15. Sara, I’m so, so sorry to see this. You seem to be handling everything with such strength and grace! What a wonderful role model for Ellie. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

16. Hang in there. I was laid off when I was 6 months pregnant. My husband was laid off in the spring. Both turned out to be the best things that could have happened to us. It’s scary during the “in between” times, but it all works out in the end.
    Katie H. recently posted..Introducing the Mom Favorites Collaborative Pinterest BoardMy Profile

17. Sara, so sorry to hear this about the firing. Apparently, the ivory tower of collegiate employment is just as brutal as the “real world.” Thoughts are with you and your family.
    Best,
    Elisabeth

18. So very sorry to hear this sad news! :( You guys are in my thoughts and prayers during this time of uncertainty. Wherever you end up, those around you will be so blessed to have such a sweet family as part of their community! Everything WILL work out, and I pray you find strength and peace while you wait for all the details to fall into place. God bless you all!

19. Sara, I am so so sorry to hear this! Please let me know if there is anything I (or CB) can do for you & your family!

You and your family are in our thought & prayers!!
    Randi

20. Sara,
    I’ve been exactly where you are right now. Pregnant with two toddlers and with a husband who lost his job. I know how you are feeling and I know it’s not good. I want you to email me so we can see how I can help you. You WILL get through this! ((Hugs))

21. Sara,
    I am so, so sorry! I think so many of us wives have been there. I remember pulling into my driveway at 3:00 the day after season ended one year and seeing my husband’s truck in the driveway. I knew he shouldn’t be home yet and my heart and stomach immediately sunk into my feet. Only a few years later, at a new school I was five months pregnant and we got a phone call over Christmas vacation informing us that the entire staff would not be returning for the following season. It was heartbreaking. Especially with a baby on the way, so I know EXACTLY what you’re going through. I’m praying for your family as you look to move on and wish you the best wherever you end up. Just get to the other side.

22. oh my! i had no idea. i clearly don’t hear news in the area. i’m thinking of you guys and keeping my fingers crossed for you. affirmations are my daily sanity…keep saying “i’m open to the gifts the universe has for me.” over and over! thinking about you guys and wishing very positive and good thoughts!

23. Sara I’m so sorry, I’m so glad the other Mom at the library was there to hug you because I think it’s an indicator that God has surrounded you with comfort even during this time. I have been there, and it’s stressful because of the financial and obvious reasons; but also having a husband who has just been hurt is a hard situation to deal with. Peace be with you all, and prayers are coming your way!
    Jen @ BigBinder recently posted..Still Between The Hedges 700 Miles AwayMy Profile

Submit a Comment